Chemicals in Red Hook
Chemicals are all around us. The following represents only a partial list of chemicals and their sources:
- Acetones - nail polish remover, paint thinners and removers, etc.
- Chlorine - drinking water, swimming pools
- Dry cleaning chemicals - dry cleaned clothing
- Food colors - packaged foods
- Formaldehyde - new building materials, carpets, fabrics, wood products, etc.
- Fragrances - perfumes, cleaning products, air fresheners
- Heavy chemicals - tampons, feminine pads, fragrances, cosmetics
- Hydrocarbons - exhausts
- Pesticides - herbicides, fungicides, bug killers, etc.
- Petroleum solvents - (isopropyl alcohol) skin care, laundry and housecleaning detergents
- Plastics = food and water packaging materials
- Preservatives - packaged foods